Journal of Physiology and Behavior
- We compared adiponectin and leptin data from novice and expert yoga practitioners.
- Leptin plays a proinflammatory role, adiponectin has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Leptin was 36% higher among novices compared to experts.
- Experts' average adiponectin to leptin ratio was nearly twice that of novices.
- Intensive yoga practice may benefit health by altering leptin and adiponectin production.
Kiecolt-Glaser, J. K., Christian, L. M., Andridge, R., Hwang, B. S., Malarkey, W. B., Belury, M. A. & Glaser, R. (2012). Adiponectin, leptin, and yoga practice. Physiology & behavior, 107(5), 809-813.